I would like to learn Mandarin Chinese and Japanese because
- I enjoy the sounds so much so that I get goose bumps each time I hear them
- I want to challenge myself
- I need to better understand humankind. When watching the news on DSTV (Cable TV available in Africa), I love to switch between CNN, BBC, CCTV, France 24 and NHK World. Of course nothing beats being able to read the news and I hope that will happen someday soon
- I wish to sing and speak in these languages
- China’s presence in Africa is great, I believe it would be a shame not to be a part of the sino-african wave
- I would like to teach Chinese to my children
- I would love to adopt or have an East Asian baby
However, I will not learn both at the same time. I will start with the more time consuming one (Chinese) then add Japanese once I have internalised a good number of characters. By good number of characters I mean at least 300 characters and then I will study the Kanji, Hiragana and Katakana.
I will be surfing between Mandarin and Japanese.
What are your reasons for learning _____?